How is your week going? We’re hoping to get back to “togetherness” in our Princeton office soon. While it was an easy shift to go 100% remote work because we’ve worked at home 2x per week for years, we gotta’ say, we’re missing the in-person interactions and the laughing and joking that goes along with it. We’re figuring it out—like everyone else. If you’ve got tips and ideas to share for migrating professional workers back to the office, let us know so we can share them.
Speaking of sharing, here’s this week’s What’s Hot Wednesday for Digital Marketers:
- This Marketing Land article shares findings from a recent Forrester Report titled “2020 Covid-19 Crisis Will Stun US Marketing.” The stun is CMO’s will likely lose $222 billion of their budget over the 18 months! This will lead to cutbacks in advertising budgets for sure, but Forrester is also predicting marketing organizations with lose 30% of their staff and salaries will be down 30%. All this will put more focus on solutions that deliver efficiency and optimization. The DBE team thinks this will further accelerate the digital transformation trend that is already underway.
- This new book by Paul Boag and Smashing Magazine provides “white hat” ways to improve your digital marketing when it’s all about the clicks. We like what they’re up to with “Click! How to Encourage Clicks Without Shady Tricks” available as an e-book or in print. Learn more here.
- Marketing Dive shares this from a Kantar Monitor report: “68% of consumers expect brands to be clear about their values and their stance on social issues.” Read the article for more segmented data on ethnicity and age factors as well as examples of companies getting it wrong (like CrossFit) and companies getting it right (like Nike and McDonald’s).
- Have you thought about using Google Trends for your content marketing strategies? This article from Search Engine Watch provides good tips for doing just that.
- With “Black Lives Matter” front and center in the news, The Verge captured how Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri answer the question “Do black lives matter?” and then “Do all lives matter?” The differences in responses make for a fascinating read. And this makes a wonderful segue to our Do Good Spotlight this week…
Do Good Spotlight: Live Free USA
We were looking for an organization to support this week and discovered a page on the Ben & Jerry’s website featuring organizations working for racial justice. Here’s the whole list. And here’s the organization we chose to feature this week, LiveFreeUSA.org. It’s working to bring about racial equality and justice through multiple means, including a focus on helping individuals learn how to make peaceful, positive change starting with themselves. The organization was founded by people of faith whose vision is to bring about change by leveraging the power of the over 118 million people who attend weekly religious services in the US. We like what they are about, we love their “Masks for the People” campaign and the other work they are doing, and we made a donation to help them further their good works. Perhaps you want to support them too?
As always, we hope this week’s issue pointed you to thought provoking and inspiring content to keep your inner digital marketer thriving. Stay well, stay safe, stay strong!