I hope you and your family are well. Things here are hopping. Here is the news and info items that caught the DBE team’s attention this week:
- There has been growing interest in “Zero Click SERPs” and this article in Search Engine Watch offers some sound SEO advice for maintaining brand visibility. One key point is to zero in (pardon the pun) on the customer journey path and align your content around the intent of a search based on the moment of need — “I want to know,” “I want to go,” “I want to do,” “I want to buy.” This approach is a good SEO best practice overall (not just for combatting zero clicks).
- This is from Kathy Doyle and it’s a hoot. Burger King got brilliant with influencer marketing—you have to read this!
- MOZ published a rather “nerdy” blog post on Google’s May 2020 Core Update. The title is a little unwieldy: “Winners, Winnerers, Winlosers, and Why It’s All Probably Crap,” but we love the article. The “all probably crap” reference is a reminder that looking at ranking shifts over very limited time windows “ignor[es} the natural volatility of search rankings.” That’s why DBE prefers examining rankings data for trends over quarters/years.
- Did you know Google has a school for leaders? This “Think With Google” piece on managing in times of chaos and complexity was penned by David Peterson, Director of Executive Coaching and Development at The Google School for Leaders. Some key takeaways include: provide clarity and direction, see the bigger picture, focus on learning and stay vigilant.
- Have you seen the “curbside pickup” badges on Google’s local shopping ads? Here’s the story behind those badges.
Do Good Spotlight: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
We supported St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with a donation. This charity exists to lead the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Here’s a link you can use to learn more.
That’s it for this week’s issue. Remember, let me know if you have a charitable organization you’d like to see featured (and donated to) here.
In the meantime, stay well, stay strong, stay focused!