How are you doing? As people are sharing on social media, we may be navigating the same COVID storm, but we’re not all in the same boat. Everyone is experiencing this differently based on their personal situation, so please continue to be kind and patient with yourself and others; and if you’ve got techniques that are helping you, please share them with us so we can pass them along to our other readers.
In the meantime, here are stories that caught the DBE team’s attention this week we want to share with our fellow marketers:
- In “7 Predictions for a Post-Coronavirus World” in Medium, Emma Rose Bienvenu does a great job focusing on what we’re all experiencing and pointing possible paths for how these pivot points trend going forward. For example, as work from home becomes the standard, many move from big cities to less expensive smaller cities or rural communities that better meet their needs. Her choices and forecasts are interesting and sparked a lot of conversation for our team.
- This opinion piece from eConsultancy “Businesses Adapting to Coronavirus Need to Put Thought Into the Entire Customer Journey” suggests thinking about the entire site, not just a handful of landing pages. The thought is to avoid implementing short-term, new landing pages that create disconnects as visitors then navigate to older pages.
- eMarketer recently shared a survey on attitudes about advertising as normal during the Coronavirus outbreak. Interestingly, this is not a consensus. 35% neither agree or disagree.
- Amazon announced a long-form speaking style Alexa will be used for reading web pages, articles, podcasts, etc. aloud. The new style is intended to make verbalized text sound more natural. In a related development, Amazon released new emotions and speaking styles for Alexa apps including “happy/excited” and “disappointed/empathetic.” We’d be even more happy/excited if Amazon was more empathetic about the disappointing ability of Alexa to understand our voice commands…
- DBE is always looking to measure our performance vs. industry benchmarks and we have been reporting on our successes with CPC and CTR rates by channel by industry for quite some time. Now we have some eCommerce Conversion Rate Benchmarks from this blog we’re examining in context of the work we are doing.
- And on the more good news front, here’s a story about how a dinner conversation between husband and wife Laurie and Kevin Hommema, a doctor and an engineer, led to a solution to decontaminate 80,000 face masks a day! Let this be a great reminder to keep those “what if” conversations going—they can be a great door opener to innovation.
Do Good Spotlight: NYU Langone’s COVID Fund
Susan Cain, Author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking lost her brother, a doctor at NYU Langone, to COVID this past week. We’re fans of her work and news of her brother’s death prompted DBE to donate to the healthcare system’s COVID fund. Please consider doing the same.
We hope this issue provided news and sparked some new thinking to help you through your day. Here’s wishing you a great rest of the week.