This week’s What’s Hot Wednesday for Digital Marketers is ready. Here we go…
- News and backpedaling around using keywords in your Google My Business listings results in “Yes, go ahead and add those keywords if they are relevant to your customers.” Here’s the story and how we all landed where we did on using keywords.
- Speaking of Google, they used Valentine’s Day to promote several of their products last week. Check out this blog post on using Google Assistant to turn up the love (Nest). We added the Nest part, but the pun is in keeping with their post by Olive U. Somuch. It’s fun, read it with a smile.
- From Think with Google: search trends around Valentine’s Day. One finding: there are almost as many searches for “valentine” and “gifs” as there were for “valentine” and “gifts.”
- Here’s a blog post from MOZ that looks at “The Power of Is” as a possible ingredient to gain Featured Snippet success. It’s a good reminder of what Featured Snippets are (we often refer to them as Position Zero on Search Engine Results Pages) and how hard it is and how long it might take to get traction with this strategy.
- Another “reverse” story in the news this week: Microsoft had added a new “extension” as part of an update to its Office 365 ProPlus software that forcibly changed company-wide Chrome and Firefox search engine defaults to Bing search, automatically, from what was likely set to Google. Cue the backlash…then Microsoft said it will be making modifications that comply more with administrators’ wishes to make the extension optional. There’s more, check out the full story.
Do Good Spotlight: The ASPCA
For all you animal lovers out there, this week we donated to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, more easily known as the ASPCA. The ASPCA’s mission, as stated by founder Henry Bergh in 1866, is “to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States.” But you know they do so much more, helping to place pets for adoption, caring for homeless pets, and educating people about how to care for the animals in their lives. Why not donate today to an organization dedicated to making our world kinder to our 4-legged friends?
I hope our topic choices this week were helpful. Let us know if you’ve got topics you want us to cover or if you’ve got a charity you’d like to see spotlighted.